Notes from Using Social Psychology to Motivate Contributions to Online Communities, by Beenen et al. 2004
- 830 respondents who rated rare movies on a movie recommendation website.
- Theoretical framing: social loafing/free riding
- Findings: the contribution of an individual may increase if:
- his contribution seems unique to the group
- specific benefits (ie individual-only or group-only) are not mentioned. The best is to not mention the benefits at all.
- goals are specific
- goals are framed for the group rather than for the individual
- goals are challenging (but still within reach)
- reasonable goals echoes intersubjective flow from Celia Pearce
- In MMOs, tank, DPS, and healer are unique roles. Does that make them play more/better towards the group?